DUE TO THE COMPLEX NATURE OF THE LINKSWELL T-STYLE RADIOS INSTALLATION AND SETUP,
WE ONLY PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR CUSTOMERS THAT HAVE PURCHASED LINKSWELL PRODUCT FROM ADCMOBILE.COM
WE CANNOT PROVIDE SUPPORT FOR PRODUCT PURCHASED ELSEWHERE.
If you are reading this, you have either purchased a Linkswell T-style radio from ADC Mobile or are contemplating the purchase. If you have already purchased – THANK YOU! We will do our best to surpass your expectations for support after the sale.
If you are contemplating the purchase, we are confident you will find that ADC Mobile knows more about the Linkswell T-Style systems than anyone and we will do our very best to support you in that purchase. Due to the fact that we are part of the Linkswell Engineering & Beta Team, we have access that very few other dealers have with the factory engineering and support staffs.
We know that there are many places you can find these products, but there are some VERY IMPORTANT differences in the dealers you may purchase from. We have over 120 YEARS in professional car audio installation experience on our staff, which gives us a dramatically wider “field of view” of potential issues that may affect your vehicle and your installation, and we have tried to distill those experiences into this guide.
IMPORTANT NOTE ON FACTORY SUPPORT: Linkswell limits the support they provide to their FACTORY AUTHORIZED DEALERS ONLY. They do not work directly with the purchaser, so if you call the factory, they will route you back to your dealer for support – this means that with ADC Mobile you will get the benefit of all of our experience with the product – with other dealers, not so much…
On the front page of the Linkswell website, there is a notice regarding purchases made on Amazon or EBay:
Technical Support & Warranty Disclaimer
Linkswell believes that due to the technical nature of our products, our products are best represented and consumers are best served by our team of factory trained and supported dealers. We highly recommend purchasing our products from one of the factory authorized dealers found here: http://www.linkswellinc.com/find-a-dealer/ .
Due to the nature of online shopping platforms like Amazon and eBay, consumers of our products cannot be adequately supported on those platforms and accordingly, we limit support for products purchased there.
LINKSWELL DOES NOT PROVIDE CUSTOMER SERVICE, FACTORY TECH SUPPORT, OR WARRANTY REPLACEMENT PARTS DIRECTLY TO CONSUMERS THAT PURCHASE LINKSWELL PRODUCT ON AMAZON OR EBAY. IF YOU PURCHASED YOUR PRODUCT FROM THOSE PLATFORMS, ALL CUSTOMER SERVICE, TECH SUPPORT AND WARRANTY INQUIRIES WILL BE DIRECTED BACK TO THE SELLING DEALER FOR RESOLUTION.
We always advise our customers to do what is right for them, and we realize that we may not always be the best option for every customer, but before you purchase Linkswell product on Amazon or EBay, think long and hard about the lack of support you will experience on what is a VERY technical and expensive system upgrade. With our competitive pricing (tax-free if outside WA state), free shipping and unlimited phone & email tech support with real installers, we feel that purchasing from ADC Mobile is the smartest place to spend your money on your new Linkswell T-Style upgrade! :- )
Keeping your unit upgraded to the latest firmware is CRITICAL for smooth and trouble-free operation!
All Linkswell radios run on custom firmware that incorporate the additional features required to interact with the vehicle and with the devices that attach to it. It is important that you check occasionally for updates and apply any updates that are found.
If we have to help you troubleshoot problems, the FIRST thing we will ask is whether the unit is running the latest firmware. With the constant flow of updates for bug fixes and feature improvements, it is vital that you try updating your unit to the latest available firmware BFORE we help you troubleshoot any problems you may have. A majority of issues can now be fixed with a simple firmware upgrade, and both ADC Mobile & Linkswell will require the latest firmware be installed prior to undergoing extended troubleshooting or warranty service.
All units sold by ADC Mobile are updated to the latest version available at the time our units were shipped from the factory, and all are currently running at least APP version 4.4, which allows over-the-air updating via Wi-Fi.
NOTE: If your GEN4 unit is not currently updated to at least APP version 4.4, it would be beneficial for you to update as soon as possible. All major firmware updates can be downloaded from the Linkswell website. (NOTE: GEN 1/2/3 radios are not capable of upgrading to the APP 4.4 firmware)
Version 4.4 adds many bug fixes and new features, including new settings menus, more settings options, additional menu bars and the ability to customize them, full-time HVAC controls in the bottom menu bar, and it also allows all future updates to be done over-the-air (OTA) via wi-fi.
I have a GEN4 unit with the old firmware with icons down the left side on the “Settings” page – how do I update to the latest firmware (APP 4.4+) that allows OTA updates?
- Download the latest APP file (the one with the highest number) from the Dropbox link here.
- Format a USB drive to be sure that it is empty, then open the .zip file you downloaded and copy the one file inside titled “px6.zip” to the root of the USB.
- Verify that there is only one file on the drive – “px6.zip” – and that it is not inside a folder.
- Take the USB to the vehicle, turn the ignition on and allow the system to boot up.
- Disconnect all other USB devices connected to the radio including phone, DVRCAM, etc.
- Once the unit is booted up, plug the USB drive directly into one of the USB inputs.
- The system should recognize the update file and pop up an alert asking if you want to run the update.
- Press yes and allow the update to run.
- Once the update is finished, you should see some text on screen to “Unplug the USB Disk.” Unplug the USB stick, and allow the system to reboot.
- Allow the system to reboot completely, then go to “Settings” – you should see a different layout than you had before.
- See the next section to proceed with over-the-air updates.
My system is updated to APP 4.4 or higher. How do I update my system to the latest firmware?
- When connected to a home or office Wi-Fi network, click the “SETTINGS>SYSTEM>UPGRADE” tab on the radio to check for updates. If it finds an update, it will ask you to install it. It would be beneficial to check for updates at least every 30-45 days.
When I try to update firmware, I get “config file not found” error
- This failure may be related to using a hotspot connection. Do not try to do updates when connected to a hotspot if at all possible. Connect to a home or office Wi-Fi network that is capable of high-speed connection, as the APP update is almost 1GB in size and will take FOREVER on a standard hotspot connection.
- Alternatively, this error can be seen if the factory update server is down or in maintenance mode.
I’ve been instructed to update the CANBOX – how do I do this?
- NOTE: Unless instructed, it is not normally advised to do CANBOX updates, as these will be be vehicle and problem-specific updates to fix very specific issues
- If you are instructed to do a CANBOX update, follow the instructions below:
I’ve been instructed to do a complete reinstallation of the factory files – how do I do this?
- Very rarely, we may recommend doing a complete reinstallation of the operating files on the unit to help troubleshoot problems. NOTE: This is normally used as a last-ditch effort to solve specific issues and will not normally be recommended for minor problems. DO NOT DO THIS UPDATE UNLESS INSTRUCTED TO!
- If we do recommend this process, please follow this guide to rebuild those operating files:
NOTE: After updating firmware, if your camera screen is very dark, put the vehicle in reverse, then tap the top left corner of the bar at the top of the screen to bring up the picture adjustment menu – choose “Default” to restore image settings.
Below are all the system applications that come loaded to your T-Style from the factory as well as some fun 3rd party applications that might enhance your experience with your T-Style Radio.
To install any of these applications follow the instructions below.
- Click the hyperlink to the APP you desire to download.
- Select Download -> Direct Download and the APK file will download to your computer.
- Copy the downloaded APK file to a USB drive.
- Turn your vehicle on and boot up your LinksWell T-Style radio.
- Plug the USB into one of the USB inputs, be sure not to plug it into the white PhoneLink dongle.
- Launch the File Manager Application on the radio and navigate to the USB to see the Application.
- Press to select the APK file on the screen and the system will ask if you want to install the APP. Select yes and then the system will begin to install the APP.
- After the install is complete you can access the APP from the APP List icon.
AnyDesk v5.3.6 (Remote Access app for troubleshooting)
DevInfo (Required to get iGO Navigation licensed)
Droid Optimizer v2.2.0 (Optimizes Android System)
FoxIt PDF Editor v7.3.0.0424 (PDF viewer/editor)
Google Chrome (Default internet browser)
NesEmu (NES Emulator)
Nova Launcher v6.2.9 (Alternate launcher for customizable “Home Screen”)
MegaN64 (Nintendo 64 Emulator)
Netflix v6.26.1 GEN IV (Netflix App for Android 8)
Easy Connect (Phone Mirroring App. Requires license & may not work on all units)
ZLINK Tesla Style GEN 4 ONLY (Apple CarPlay/Android Auto App) Current Version: 4.0.26
**Installing too many applications or downloading too many files to the hard drive can cause the system to run slow.**
Owner’s Manuals & Setup Guides
Radio Settings Guide
Applications & Compatiblity
- 2014-2018 RAM 1500/2500/3500/4500
- 2019 RAM Classic Body style
Factory Features Retained: (if present)
Steering wheel controls
Factory backup camera
Factory 360 camera system
Factory rear sensors w/audio feedback (mid-year 2016 & newer)
Manual HVAC controls (will not convert MANUAL to DUAL controls)
Dual HVAC controls
Factory heated seats
Factory cooled seats
Factory remote start
Factory Features NOT Retained: (if present)
RAM Air Ride settings on touchscreen
Driver Information Center radio & navigation displays
Voice Command button on the steering wheel
Ram Trailer Package touch screen settings – the physical trailer package settings will still work
MID-YEAR 2016 & OLDER:
Rear sensor audio (visual display is present)
Some models: Heated mirrors
NOTE: THE LIST ABOVE IS WHAT IS KNOWN REGARDING INTEGRATION WITH FACTORY FEATURES AND OPTIONS.
SOME COMBINATIONS OF FACTORY OPTIONS MAY NOT HAVE BEEN TESTED IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF THIS UNIT, AND MAY NOT BE SUPPORTED.
IF YOUR VEHICLE HAS AN OPTION OR FEATURE THAT IS NOT SHOWN, PLEASE CALL BEFORE PURCHASE TO CONFIRM WHETHER OR NOT IT IS SUPPORTED.
WE DO NOT REFUND BASED ON FACTORY FEATURES NOT BEING SUPPORTED.
Main Harness Connections:
The main harness has multiple connectors that will require special consideration and will need to be connected correctly depending on which factory system was in place in the truck and what factory options you want to maintain.
The output to speakers or factory amplifier will be determined by the connection of the white male plugs labeled “RAM HI” or “RAM LO”. One of these plugs will have to be plugged into the mating female plug in order to produce sound – without one of them plugged in, you will have no sound at all.
Connect the male plug labeled “RAM HI” if you have the factory Alpine amplified system and the male plug labeled “RAM LO” if you have the base non-amplified system. You can verify you have done this properly by turning up the volume – if you have it correct, you will get normal volume output. If it was done incorrectly, you will either barely hear any volume or the volume will blast you out of the truck at low volume settings.
ACCESSORY PLUG CONFIGURATION:
The GEN4 T-Style radio comes with multiple additional accessory plugs that will be required for your installation. The image below shows the proper locations for all of the accessory plugs.
Even though these plugs are keyed to help locate them into the proper ports, it is possible to plug some of them in incorrectly. NOTE: It is extremely important that all plugs are plugged into the proper ports in order for all accessories to operate properly! Damage to accessories or to the radio may result from improperly located accessory plugs!
We highly recommend that you plug in ALL of the plugs to the their proper ports even if you are not using them in order to not lose them – for instance, if you ever decide to add amplifiers to your system, you will need the RCA output harness. If that plug is plugged in already, you can’t lose it in the garage somewhere… :- )
When deciding where to place the included microphone (YES, IT IS REQUIRED TO USE IT), the goal is to mount the mic where it will get the least amount of vibration and wind noise transmitted to the mic. Avoid the temptation to take shortcuts while running the mic! Don’t mount it on the dashboard or clip it to the “A”-pillar cover, as sound quality will suffer.
After much experimentation (including trying to incorporate the factory microphone into the Linkswell system), we have found the best place to mount the mic is up near the rearview mirror as shown here:
What we have done is simply zip-tied the mic wire to the harness that runs down to the rearview mirror and let the mic hang down vertically. This will eliminate, as much as possible, the amount of vibration that the truck is able to feed into the mic, and will result in much better overall better sound quality – if done properly, it will sound BETTER than the factory Bluetooth.
INACCURATE TIME FIX:
Due to variations in production tolerances between different trim levels, we STRONGLY advise that you exercise caution when attaching the radio to the factory dash trim using the factory screws.
The mounting bosses on the new radio should sit FLUSH to the factory trim bezel – if there is a gap, overtightening the screws will result in deformation of the plastic on the front of the radio bezel as shown below.
If you do identify a gap between the radio mounting boss and factory bezel, we suggest adding a washer of the correct thickness to fill the gap BEFORE tightening the screws!
Use a hand screwdriver ONLY.
DO NOT USE POWER TOOLS TO TIGHTEN SCREWS!
|Inspect the fit of the radio bezel to factory dash trim BEFORE tightening screws!||Example of deformation of radio bezel resulting from overtightening of screws|
FACTORY CAMERA WIRING:
PHONELINK (CAR PLAY / ANDROID AUTO) USB CONNECTION
The GEN4 radio made a change in how you will accomplish Car Play & Android Auto – it no longer requires an outboard dongle to allow those functions – you now will plug the phone’s charging cable directly to the USB input without using a dongle. However, the GEN4 radio now has three USB inputs – on the RED PLUG is a standard female “A” type USB labeled “Phonelink” and one is a mini female “B” type USB designed to plug into the factory USB harness and activate the factory USB input. On the WHITE PLUG is a standard USB female.
THESE INPUTS DO NOT PROVIDE THE SAME FUNCTIONALITY AND DEPENDING ON THE PHONE YOU OWN MAY DICTATE THE USE OF USB ADAPTERS TO ACCOMPLISH CAR PLAY / ANDROID AUTO!
Android phones can use either of the Linkswell radio’s standard Female USB inputs to accomplish Android Auto and so do not need any special treatment of the USB connections. You can connect either the black or green factory USB cables at the HMI module to the square factory USB connector on the radio and using the supplied mini “B” female to male “A” adapter, you can connect the other factory USB cable to the “Phonelink” USB input, and you should be able to operate Android Auto using both of the factory USB ports without issue.
To allow Car Play, voltage switching occurs in the radio and only the Phonelink port does that. To do Car Play, iPhones must use a direct connection to the USB input labeled “Phonelink”. This means that your iPhone must be connected to the Phonelink USB input directly and not through any other hubs or adapters – INCLUDING THE FACTORY USB HUB WITH THE SD CARD READER.
To accomplish a cleaner installation to use the Phonelink input for using Car Play while still using the factory USB hub, follow the methods below:
|Method 1: Source a longer USB-Lightning charging cable (like the one shown below) – plug it into the “Phonelink” USB and run it to your preferred location (center box, console storage, etc.).|
|Method 2: Source a USB M-F adapter (like the one shown below)that extends the “Phonelink” female USB to an external location, and mount in your preferred location.|
Google Maps & iGo Navi Upgrade
The Linkswell GEN4 T-Style radio system comes with the Google Maps app pre-installed for use as the default navigation system, though any navigation app that can be downloaded from the Google Play store can be installed and used as the default system as well. In addition, using the “PhoneLink” app, you can use any compatible Car Play or Android Auto app on your phone for navigation.
NOTE: USING ANY ANDROID NAVIGATION APP ON THE RADIO OR YOUR PHONE WILL REQUIRE INTERNET CONNECTIVITY AND WILL CONSUME DATA UNLESS YOU DOWNLOAD “OFFLINE MAP CONTENT” PRIOR TO USING THE NAV SYSTEM.
This means that in order to run Google Maps or any other Android GPS app you have installed on the radio, you must have a data hotspot in the vehicle and paired to the radio – this can be the factory data hotspot, your phone, a portable hotspot, etc. OR you will need to go into the options for the system and download content that is saved to the radio’s memory so you can access that content without being connected to the internet.
If you want to use Google Maps in the “Offline map mode”, meaning you can use it WITHOUT having to have an active data connection, follow this video to get offline maps set up:
IGO NEXT GEN NAVIGATION UPGRADE
The iGo Next Gen Navigation system upgrade gives you the ability to navigate without consuming data and is pre-installed on your system – it just needs the license file to make it active.
Adding the license is an extra-cost option that can be added when you order, or you can activate the iGo system after your purchase.
In order to do the upgrade after you have purchased the system, here’s the process:
- Run the “Dev Info” app and on the screen that opens, the “IMEI” number will be shown at the bottom left of the screen
- Copy the IMEI number EXACTLY. NOTE: There are no refunds for licenses generated for the wrong IMEI number!
- Purchase the iGo license here: https://www.adcmobile.com/product/igo-nextgen-navigation-upgrade-for-t-style-radios/
- Provide the IMEI number of your unit during checkout
- We will forward your IMEI number to the manufacturer
- The manufacturer will generate the license (.lyc file) and we will email it to you
- Follow the instructions below to install
Installation of iGo Next-Gen navigation license file:
- Save the “lyc” file we send you to a USB stick
- Insert the USB stick into a USB port in the truck
- Open File Manager app
- You will have “FLASH” and “USB” drive icons on the left column – click on the “USB” drive
- You should now see the “.lyc” file you copied to the USB drive – tap on the box on the far right of the file name to highlight the file (this adds a checkmark to the box)
- Hit the “Copy” icon (bottom of screen – icon on left)
- Tap the “Flash” icon (top left)
- Tap “iGo” folder to open it
- Tap the “license” folder to open it
- Tap the “Paste” icon (bottom of screen – icon on left) – this will paste the file into the “license” folder
- Now start the iGo system and it will walk you through the setup process
If you want iGo to be the default navigation app, open “Settings”. The navigation icon (top icon) should be lit. Double-tap the iGo NextGen icon in the list at right. Tap the checkmark to verify your selection. iGo will now open when you touch the “Navi” icon on the bottom bar or on the Home screen.